With 50 states and over 200 years of cooking under its belt, the United States of America is just as subject to regional cooking as any other nation. One of the most noted and recognizable areas of American remains the South. With states from Texas to Florida, the ideas and practices of Southern food are as complex as they are vast.
In order to make sense of it all, we have gathered the 50 best Southern food blogs. With everyone from professional chefs to plain old mom weighing in, you are sure to find a new family favorite or just something to make for dinner tonight.
Best Southern Food Blogs by a Woman
The First Ladies of Southern cooking have loads to share on their blogs.
- 1. Pioneer Woman Cooks : Ree is a “desperate housewife”with a touch of Lucille Ball, Vivian Leigh, and Ethel Merman. Check out her blog to see cooking pioneer style. Pizzas, breakfast burritos, and blackberry cheesecake are just some of the faves on this popular blog.
2. Paula Deen : She is the popular chef sporting down home eats on the Food Network. Get Paula’s very own recipes for everything from appetizers to kid friendly recipes. You can get a menu for the week, check out the audio blog, and much more on the massive site.
3. Biscuits and Such : Elena actually bases her Southern food blog out of Baltimore. She writes her own recipes as a mix of traditional and modern cooking. Entries such as a habanero grouper and bacon blue cheese burgers will get you interested.
4. Deep South Dish : This blog is about basic, country style Southern cooking with an emphasis on coastal South dishes and cooking from scratch. This mother has literally been dishing it out since the seventies and shares here. Summer favorites from fire ‘n ice pickles and boiled peanuts are featured.
5. Homesick Texan : Lisa left her home state of Texas to move to the Big City. As stated in the name of the blog, she dedicates her writings to the food she left behind. Favorites include biscuits, carnitas, chicken-fried steak, and more.
6. Southern Lady Cooks : This blogger believes that Southern cooking is a labor of love and shares timeless favorites such as buttermilk biscuits. Cooking tips, featured recipes, and delicious looking pictures greet everyone who visits. She even features the “Ten Commandments of Grits”for true Southerners.
7. Y’all Come On! : With a name like that, the blog has to be good. Christy Clark is a misplaced Southern belle who moved to Florida. She brought her cooking with her and shares loads of it here.
8. Backyard Southern Gourmet : Armadillo Pepper is a virtual blogger in the world of Southern food. Listen to the latest audio entry or even get entries on how to make food overseas with a Southern flare. Simple and easy recipes are often the topic of each post.
9. Fabulous Southern Foodie : Ann Margaret is from Georgia where she enjoys the best of Southern food. She often features pre-prepared meals as well as her own. The blog also stands out for those looking to lose weight.
Best Southern Food Blogs by a Man
The men weigh in via blog on their Southern cooking favorites.
- 10. New Orleans Cuisine : Danno dedicates his Southern food blog to New Orleans and Louisiana cooking. Recipes are ideal for the Creole or Cajun and include many Southern favorites. Recent ones include praline bacon and peach salsa pork chops.
11. Sugar Pies Food : Buck is originally from South Carolina and now lives in Tucson. His mother was a Southern cook and continues the tradition in the blog. A good choice if desserts are your thing.
12. Blackened Out : Peter and Rene believe New Orleans is one of the staple cities of America. Check out the latest happenings in food in the area with a visit. The top 20 post Katrina offerings are often shared.
13. Hushpuppy Nation : Rick McDaniel is a food historian, chef, and writer who specializes in Southern food. He devotes his blog to the history and culture of Southern food. A while can pass between posts but if entries such as lemon sherbet and beaten biscuits intrigue you, be sure to visit.
14. Slim Pickins Pork : Andrew explores the nuances of the pig in this blog. He hopes to elevate rustic cuisine to a high art. Burgers were the topic of a recent entry.
15. Chef Rick’s Southern Cooking : Click here to get loads of Southern recipes. Rick keeps this as more of a database than blog but offers loads of entries on appetizers, drinks, and pickles. Be sure not to miss the part on soul food.
Best Southern Food Blogs by a Site
These sites devote part or all of their blogs to Southern cooking.
- 16. Southern Plate : Christy Jordan had economics inspirations until she developed this site specializing in recipes below the Mason-Dixon Line. Targeting cooks of all ages and skills, she hopes to share Southern cooking with people all over the world. Useful videos, classics, and much more await with just a click.
17. Eating My Words : The secret food adventures of the staff at “Southern Living”magazine are featured here. Categories include the test kitchen, restaurants, and even wine. You can also get loads of other tools and resources for food and other ways to live a Southern life.
18. Southern Food : About.com is a site where many experts stop by to blog and Southern food is not excluded. Diana Tattray has been blogging on the topic since 1997 and offers many entries. Must reads include crockpot recipes, mac and cheese, and easy chicken.
19. Southern USA : Many culinary classics of the American South are shared on Allrecipes.com. Favorites include fried chicken, biscuits, and sweet potato pie. Visit to check out the featured cook or even share your own recipe.
20. Southern Recipes : Ol’ South Recipes has a list for authentic recipes. Current entries include fried green tomatoes. You can also get entries that use avocado, chili, omelets, and much more.
21. Easy Southern Cooking : Quick recipes for the beginner are the focus here. Choose from soup, sides, beverages, and much more. You can even learn to make complex foods the easy way such as jelly, jam, and preserves.
22. Mama’s Southern Cooking Blog : If mom was a big part of your Southern cooking experience, this is the blog for you. It features recipes commonly associated with parents of Southerners. Favorites such as casseroles and potato salad are all here.
23. Southern : More of a database than a blog, this is a must visit. The Food Network has over two thousand recipes listed as Southern. Current top entries include a Southern shrimp boil, deviled eggs, and fried chicken.
24. Southern Foodways Alliance : This organizations documents, studies, and celebrates the culture of Southern cooking. The blog lets you know what they are up to, as well as shares award winning recipes. With entries dating back to 2003, make time for this one.
Best Barbeque Southern Food Blogs
Because loads of Southern food is cooked outdoors, check out these blogs.
- 25. Boy Meets Grill : Bobby Flay is the host of a show on the Food Network of the same name. Get recipes, tips, and even videos by visiting. Be sure not to miss “Killer Grilling Tips”with everything from the master griller to newbie.
26. BBQ Hub : The world of barbeque is featured on this popular blog. Choose from topics such as contests, restaurants, teams, and more. They even did a recent entry on fried chicken.
27. Barbeques & Grilling : Derrick Riches writes all about these topics in another entry from About.com. Must reads include the best gas grills and recipe of the week. One of the latest entries was on the top ten accessories for the grill.
28. Livefire : The Beringer Great Steak Challenge is the topic of concern currently on this blog. However, you can get tips and pictures on how to pit BBQ or even make lobster on the grill. Be sure not to miss the Friday Food Faves with more.
29. Patio Daddio BBQ : Musings on barbeque, cooking, and life are served here. Popular recipes here include seasoning and classic drumsticks. You can even get random recipes on items such as Hungarian entries and rattlesnake tails.
30. BBQ Blog : Brian Pearcy has published over 750 articles on the topic and has won awards for his spice rub. Learn more by visiting. He recently posted the results of a reader poll on smokers.
31. Ribs Within : This is the blog of an actual and professional BBQ team. See where they are traveling, what contest they are entering, and most of all, what they are making. There is also a special section for recipes.
32. White Trash BBQ : Stop here for real pit barbeque straight from New York City. He actually competes in the KCBS Championship and shares more here. Contest and grilling tips are often shared.
33. BBQ Addicts : Visit for the home of “America’s Hottest Barbeque Recipe.” Featured on Good Morning American and CNN, they get around. A recent entry was on the best of bacon.
34. A BBQ Nation : Get the official blog of Smoke in ‘Da Eye here. One of their most recent entries was on how to barbeque a breakfast. Specifically, it was a waffle cheese burger.
35. BBQ Sauce Reviews : Need something to go with all that food? Then stop here to get reviews for BBQ sauce before you buy. Choose from one to five star sauces and even get random entries for fruit or gluten free sauce.
Best Cajun Southern Food Blogs
Because the French also influenced Southern food, have a look at these blogs.
- 36. Real Cajun Cooking : Jacques Gaspard is your host to everything Cajun in this blog. He shows readers how to cook like a Cajun and even develop their own style. The latest recipe is on creamy chicken and oyster stew.
37. New Orleans Food and Recipe News : The site NOLA.com hosts this blog. Food and recipes are shared as well as the latest dining news. Food related happenings around the city are also shared.
38. The Bear Growls : Arthur “The Bear”shares dining habits, rants, and diatribes. The world of Southern Louisiana is focused on but he can occasionally wander. The interesting back story of a restaurant he recently visited is also shared.
39. Roux B Doo’s Cajun and Creole Food Blog : Learn the difference between the two in this blog. Tim often features the best in Southern food and offers links to favorite restaurants and more. He also has the option to download recipe books.
40. NOLA Cuisine : The food of New Orleans, Louisiana is celebrated here. Get the most popular entries such as shrimp etouffee and creole with a click. They also have reviews for restaurants in the area.
41. The Boudin Link : Learn more about the Cajun style of sausage here. Get a virtual guide to it by visiting here. Maps to recommendations, recipes, and more are detailed.
42. Peanut Butter Etouffee : This recipe and other oddities are featured on the blog. Art projects and more off topic picks are also shared. You can even learn how to make steam driven cookies with a visit.
43. The Creole and Cajun Recipe Page : This is a good first stop for newbies to Cajun cooking. Chuck Taggart is a native from New Orleans and shares the basics and beyond of this type of Southern food. Appetizers, Po-Boys, and many others are shared.
44. Gumbo and Other Tales : Sara has not been active in posting lately but is still worth a look. With two blogs to choose from, she has loads about gumbo. See where she has been and what was cooked on the blog.
Best Specialty Southern Food Blogs
These food blogs have a Southern specialty in mind.
- 45. Southern Savers : Get information on coupons, deals, giveaways, and more for the Southerner on this site. Stores such as Target and Walgreens are often the subject of entries. There are even guides for getting started.
46. Mommy’s Kitchen : This mother knows that the best childhood memories often take place in the kitchen. With that and Southern food in mind, she blogs a virtual kitchen of recipes and tips. The current feature is cake mix dinner rolls.
47. Soul Fusion Kitchen : Sylvie believes the kitchen is the hub of all social events in the home. Holiday parties, outdoor BBQ, luncheons, dinner, and brunch with a soulful look are featured here. A recent post was on a BBQ competition.
48. Madame Monaco’s Moreish Menus and Morsels : What does a French Canadian know about Southern food? Visit her blog to find out. Although recipes reach across both countries, she still features a few recipes from her native South. Cooking tags are on everything from African to vegetables.
49. Soul Food and Southern Cooking : Visit here to get the soul in the South. Loads of recipes are available with a click and are for everyone from the meat lover to the diabetic. They also offer cooking tips.
50. The Chicken Fried Blog : A Southern favorite, the blog makes no apologies for being about its favorite dish. Get reviews for fried chicken from all over the country. Entries are sparse but worth it if you love fried chicken as much as they do.
No matter your cooking knowledge, skill, or even location, there is loads to learn in the above 50 best Southern food blogs. With growing interest and no signs of slowing, there is a reason it is so popular.